Saturday, October 2, 2010

Project Yancey: Episode 15: Doug on the Wild Side

This likely won't become a habit, but this piece needs a little bit of mood music, here's a song I've always liked.


Doug's Grandma Opal is coming to visit today, but Doug immediately tells us she isn't quite a normal grandma, even though he sometimes wishes she was.   Once Doug finishes imagining what that would be like, we hear Grandma Opal outside the window making sounds reminiscent of the clown from Happy Gilmore (he beat that clown alright).  Naturally whenever a grandma comes to visit, she must come with gifts!  She gives Doug a white Elvis style leather jacket (I think is pretty ballin) but Doug doesn't like it and imagines that if he wore it he would be apprehended by the fashion police (run by Roger and Beebee.)  It's now that Grandma Opal decides that Doug should give her a tour of Bluffington, and it is up to him to make sure they get home by 6 o'clock sharp for dinner because grandma doesn't believe in watches.  We now find out the best thing about Grandma Opal, she drives a motorcycle!  And this is also great because it cues a daydream in which we get to see badass biker gang Doug.  One of their first actions is to go eat lunch, but not before Grandma Opal befriends a big bad biker guy named Bubba, by showing him some pictures of her grandkids, and Bubba thinks that's pretty far out.  They finally stop at Stuff Your Face Sushi (a candidate for worst named restaurant ever) for lunch, and Doug gets his first introduction to Japanese culture.  He finds out what chopsticks are, and that sushi is raw fish, even making him imagine that his food is going to start begging him to not eat it.  It takes Doug being reminded of the first time he tried ice cream to try the sushi, and he can't wait to tell Skeeter he ate raw fish for lunch and liked it.  Now we reach the pivotal moment of the episode, they happen to stop by Patti at the library and grandma notices immediately Doug has the hots for her, and tells him to tell her she looks nice today, this spawns two really really good cutscenes.  The first is apprehensive Doug presenting every guy's nightmare, complimenting a girl to have her bitchily respond "Oh! So that means I don't look good OTHER days!" or something along those lines (which is a completely illogical response but it's frightening nonetheless.)  The next is Doug with a little confidence imagining himself as Elvis with a guitar telling Patti she gets him all shook up, as she melts and falls to the floor in love.  In reality, Doug says it a little awkwardly, and Patti appreciates the compliment.  It now gets real close to 6, and they high-tail it home for a delicious dinner, and the episode ends with Doug trying on his new jacket.
After some tight competition, Biker Doug wins as my favorite image. 
Most of us have that grandma, the one who never quite fit into the grandma archetype.  It can go one of two ways, it can be completely stellar, or it could be an annoyance.  I don't have any idea of what kind of tight ass would find it to be an annoyance, because I have a grandma who doesn't fit the grandma mold, and shes quite awesome for it.  My other grandmother fit the description quite well, and the contrast had always been good to me, but because the episode was about Doug's alternative grandma, I'm gonna discuss my alternative grandma.  The first thing to point out about her is that she was from Califonia, but still never learned how to say it correctly, and I guess the Cali attitude stuck with her for her whole life.  From what I've heard (my grandfather on that side died before I was born, and I've been told I'm kinda like him or stuff of that sort) my grandparents on that side of the family were partyers and liked to have a good time.  I have never attempted to argue this as I am pretty sure even with me as a college student, she could drink me under the table quite easily.  At a family party, I was playing bartender and even though I drank quite a few beers, I will still never forget exactly how to mix Seagrams 7 and Diet Coke for her exactly, and I'm pretty sure I got ample practice.  But it's not even just that, I've spent 2 summers at least mowing her lawn for her, and I'll typically talk with her if shes still around, and shes pretty chill, just not quite at motorcycle levels yet.  So yeah, there's another look into my family, and likely some more proof that you are a product of your environment.  Until next time, cheers mates!
As cool of a magazine ad as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment