Sunday, September 19, 2010

Project Yancey: Episode 8: Doug Can't Dig It

Even in this first extended view of Doug's sister Judy, we realize she is definitely one weird individual.  This is the definite reason why Doug becomes really worried when he finds out she is going to have a performance at Doug's school the next day, and he is going to have to introduce her.  In his imaginings Judy's performance isn't much more than her sitting on a stage with bongos shouting some nonsense about being a washing machine and pink underwear, and concludes with her telling the whole school he loves Patti.  As Skeeter tries to console Doug at the Honker Burger, Judy comes in with her artsy friends doing some weird artsy things, and even Roger is there to realize that if this is a preview of the next day's performance, Doug is going to be buried.  It's now that Doug goes into attempting to talk Judy into cancelling mode, his first attempt is to use "psychology" but quickly learns that "psychology doesn't work on older sisters."  He then resorts to fake phone calls as a very famous producer, J.B. Hunkamunka, to tell her that the performance is a bad idea, surprisingly she knows this call is from Doug, and tells him he'll thank her tomorrow.  We now get a flashback to the last time Doug and Judy were on stage together, she was plaque and he was a toothbrush, and he got embarrassed when she decided to do a really extended and ridiculous death sequence after being brushed out.  The time of the performance finally comes along and Doug is still without an excuse, so he sits on a bench to think it over.  Thinking he was going through the door to go outside to get some fresh air, Doug walks backstage just in time to hear Judy tell Mrs. Wingo that Shakespeare's first performance was for his brother's grade school (I don't think that's historically correct.)  And then as Judy is being forced to stage without a proper introduction, Doug does the right thing and makes his presence known.  In the end, he introduces Judy and even Roger liked the performance, and most importantly, he was not embarrassed in front of the entire school.

What a freak!!  The facial expressions say it all.
The moral of this episode is when it comes to family, just go with the flow.  As I've explained earlier, I come from a moderately large family as the third of four children.  But I never had quite a situation like this, my oldest brother was too old to be in school at the same time as me, and my younger sister is too young to have been in school with me.  Which leaves my brother and I, the middle children, to be within a grade of each other, and being in school together for most of our lives.  He wasn't like Judy, he was a popular kid, and if you haven't noticed yet, I wasn't.  It was always a little bit of a strange situation because we both are a lot alike so I felt like a lot of people figured that I would be "cool" like him.  I guess in this failure to live up to expectations was a little embarrassing at times but it was never really a problem.  The weirdest time of complete polar opposites came during his senior year in high school which was my own junior year.  He was chosen to be the unofficial mascot of our school for football games, which involved body paint, shirtlessness, and a cape.  I meanwhile don't think I even went to most of the football games, and even when I was there I wasn't exactly Mr. School Spirit.  So you know what, in the end even though the high school thought he was cool and I wasn't, we get along much better than that suggests, and that's pretty cool.  I apologize for not being able to come up with a clever picture for this part of the article, but I have an excuse to show this video so please enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment