Monday, June 18, 2012

Things I Hate (That Everyoine Else Seems to Love)

Hooray, I am writing for my own blog again!  After spending a few months doing things that aren't blogging, I am back to make myself seems like an angry asshole!  As the title says I am going to write about some things that I hate that other people love, and the reason for most of these is because I am not a fan of most people. So without any further delay, I'll let my anger go.
Despite all my rage, I'll never be Nicholas Cage
First Person Shooters/ Competitive Online Multiplayer
I am going to lump these together because even though most of my gripes are with the latter of the two, pretty much every online multiplayer game that people play seriously enough to have these behaviors is a FPS.  My first gripe is that I play video games as a type of escapism from the fact that things don't always go my way and I enjoy a little success.  Even though I consider myself a competent video gamer, I am also rather competitive and when I lose (which happens a lot in online games) I tend to get angry.  Anger is not escapism.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy challenging games but I would much rather play a Mega Man game from the NES era where even though it is insanely difficult I can keep playing and eventually triumph over one of these new games where all it takes to lose is slower reflexes and bad luck.  I also hate the behavior of people who play these online games, not only do they claim to have a ridiculous amount of sex with random strangers' mothers (despite the fact most probably couldn't tell a labia from a Labrador) but they are the most ill behaved people I have ever conversed with.  Racial slurs, swears and accusations of cheating everywhere!  I really don't want to bother with that bullshit in my hobby when I could just as easily turn to a Rayman Origins or a Fez to enjoy myself.  Multiplayer was created originally to play video games locally with friends, and playing with total strangers online completely ruins the spirit of multiplayer in my opinion.  My last problem is with the FPS genre, and it is how realism is being so actively pursued.  Mostly in how they use real guns and in some of them they try to actually make the gameplay realistic.  Even though these games aren't meant for children, they play them and that kind of frightens me that they know the difference between an AK-47 and a M16, the most dangerous thing I learned when I was a child from video games was that jumping on a goomba made it flatten.
Pop Music
The reason for me not liking pop music is simple, I am getting older and I am not a girl.  As far as I am concerned the only reason for younger men to like pop music is because girls like it and they want to get into those girls pants.  That sentence does not mean that I would prefer to be in a man's pants, but you misread what I meant by girl.  By girl I mean it as in the dictionary's definition "a female child, from birth to full growth," basically anybody who is not old enough to have yet to receive a high school diploma.  You see my theory on pop music is thus, the college girls like it because they are mostly drunk and want to dance, the high school girls actually like this stuff because the college girls like to dance to it, the high school boys like the music because it is an easy topic of conversation with the high school girl, the soccer mom likes it because they want to feel young again, the college guy needs to tolerate it long enough to dance with the drunk girl, and any man older than that doesn't give a fuck about it because they (hopefully) don't enjoy partaking in statutory rape.  I'm not saying that any pop artists aren't good musicians, but it just isn't something I like to listen to, merely because I am starting my lifelong quest of becoming an angry old man.
This fanbase = Money!  Tons of it!
Apple Products
Screw Apple and their damn trendiness!  I really don't understand why everyone is so animate about getting an iPhone when there are other phones that are just as good (or better) and usually cheaper.  I like to assume that having an iPhone is something of a status symbol that you are hip and trendy.  But the thing is that everyone with an iPhone pretends to be such an individual because of it when like 90% of people have the same goddamn sleek looking white phone.  That is another odd thing, did Apple have exclusive rights to make a white phone?  I am not even going to touch on the potential implications of people's color choices because it really isn't my place to say anything about it.  I am also blown away by the amount of people that have the iPhone and the iPad and the iPod Touch, the only difference between the three is that one can make calls, one is huge and one is completely useless now.  They all do the same thing, they all cost a ton, and they are all so damn trendy.  I really can't wait until Apple makes their next iPhenomenon that does the exact same thing with no real progress other than one small aesthetic difference.  It is like a cult, and I love myself for being an PC, Android and Zune owner.
PUT ON THE GLASSES!
High School and High School Related Activities
This one isn't becoming jaded with high school over the years, I hated it then a lot more than I hate it now, so much so that I really can't remember why I hated it so much.  Maybe it had to do with the fact that television made being popular seem so important that it kept me from being able to accept my semi-popular self for a little while.  Maybe it had to do with the fact that my class rank was being brought down because of the people who cheated on every test and assignment would do better than someone like myself who acted morally and did their own work.  Maybe it was the structure and the time and the fact I was a teenager and hormones were telling me to hate everything about my surroundings.  But I hated high school when it was happening and could never understand the people who had all this school spirit and were like "woo hoo I'm a senior" as if it was something they think will actually be relevant further on in their life.  I also hate prom (excuse me for a second as I dodge dirty looks from every woman on earth), all it is is dressing up for a shitty meal and dancing to shitty music.  What the hell is fun about that?

Reservoir Dogs
I watched this movie last year after many people recommended it to me and said that I would like it.  It is true that I usually don't mind violent movies as long as they have a good plot to justify the violence.  The problem with Reservoir Dogs is that I didn't find it's story too enthralling.  A good indicator of how much I didn't enjoy the story is that I seriously cannot think of a single part of the movie that I didn't like, mainly because I can't remember a single part of the movie at all.  I only watched it about a year ago, and if I can't remember a single part I must have really been disenchanted by the movie that I just zoned out.  It had something to do with a robbery and Steve Buscemi was in it and Quentin Tarantino died in some stupid way I can't quite remember.  I think the main point of the movie was to enjoy and connect to the characters but I hated every single one of them.  I didn't want to see any of the characters get away with the heist and run away to be happily ever after.  Granted I'm pretty sure none of them did, but when things went wrong I didn't have any emotional response to it, I just went through the motions and kept watching.  I'm sure there are plenty of extra layers and intricacies within the movie that make it great, but I really have no intention of watching that movie again.  I'm not going to say it is a bad movie either, but it simply doesn't get my recommendation.  
He was better in Mr. Deeds with the peanut butter and gumballs pizza.
So there is me letting off some steam about things I'm not particularly fond of.  I don't think it really helped me stop hating these things so much but it was kind of fun to write about it.  If you want to tell me to fuck off and you hate my opinion, please feel free to direct your rage to the comment box, where I will respond by crying myself to sleep for the next month.  So long and hopefully I will be able to post some more soon.

1 comment:

  1. Are you implying that high school wasn't the best time of your life?

    ReplyDelete